Here’s the tale of last weekend: I set myself a challenge to sew as many things as possible in the following 7 days. In the first 2 and a half days of said challenge, I had finished two tops, and cut and started a new project (more on this on another Sunday Post). Anyway, today I bring you photos from the tops I sewed last weekend! I love sewing tops because they are easy, fast, and don’t need a lot of fabric. So it’s the perfect project for some remnants, which was the case of the two fabrics you see here. The white and black top was made with a less than a yard remnant of that golden leopard print I got for $2 at JoAnn’s, and the red fabric (which may or may not be vintage) is a find from someone’s destash on Instagram. Both were super small pieces, the gold leopard print was so small, I didn’t have enough to make the sleeves the pattern size, and ended up cutting about 3 inches out of them to make them fit on the left over fabric I had! The red one I still have some left, it might turn into some cute accent pieces on a future project!
But now, let me share you the tops one by one. First one up, the red shirt! The fabric that may or may not be vintage, is some sort of cotton, a little more malleable than quilting cotton, but a little more heavy than a rayon challis. It’s a bit too hot for a summer top, but I didn’t know that when I started. Either way, I think it might be perfect for Utah’s dry weather and the cold AC at my office. It’s a super loose fit thanks to all the gathers on top, so I think I need to be careful how I wear it so I don’t look like I have weird body proportions, and it’s probably a shirt best worn not tucked inside your pants or skirt, like I did in the photos.
The pattern is McCall’s 6711, a set that also has a pencil skirt, dress, trousers, and blazer. I like how the skirt and trousers look, but I prefer my jackets fitted, so I’ll probably not be trying that one out. Anyway, one last photo of the red blouse before I move on! Note the strategic crop so you don’t see the weird fold that makes me look as if I had weird body proportions as I mentioned above… Living and learning, folks. No tucking in this shirt. Wear it with pants.
A pause on our top party to talk about the necklace I’m wearing above. Isn’t it cute?? It was a gift from my friend Ana, and I’m in love with it. This is the cutest camera charm I’ve seen around, the body of the camera is covered in a flowery pattern. SO cute. Check out some close ups:
Back to the tops! The second top I finished was that gold leopard with black accents blouse from Vogue Patterns 8772. I only had enough fabric for the main panels of this shirt, and had to do some very creative cutting to get some sleeves out of it. I very much like sleeves, and I already made one of those button downs without sleeves, so it was time to add them. I don’t think I ever blogged about the first time I used this pattern, but I wore it last year and photographed it, so you can check it out here (it’s the Wednesday outfit). I wore it a few times since, most recently a couple of weeks ago, and decided that I liked it too much, and needed to make a second one with sleeves.
Since I didn’t have enough fabric for everything, I got a little creative on this shirt. I cut the sleeves shorter, and then I picked a piece of black rayon challis and did the contrast pieces. The button placket wasn’t supposed to be a separate piece, and I didn’t notice till it was too late that the finishing on the inside that you can see when the shirt hangs open up top just does not look good. The photo above shows that well. So if I was doing it again, I’d probably fix that. I’m also not a huge fan of the print. I thought I’d be fine because it’s a super discreet leopard print, but I think the end result just looks cheap and garish. What I do like about this shirt though: it only cost me about $3 of material to make, and I learned a lot about making button down shirts in the process. Well, I learned everything but how to put on a button hole. Maybe some other time. This shirt is just sewed close, but that’s what I like, so that was my idea from the start. I probably won’t be wearing this shirt in public, but I do want to try to make another contrast button down, and I think I know just what steps to take to have a better finish next time. So all in all, this was a good experience!
And that’s that for all the June sewing! I mean, all the June sewing I was able to blog… :)