Yay, I finally finished my Anna dress! I first saw this pattern on Roisin Muldoon‘s blog, and fell in love. I bought it the same day, but it took me this long (her post is from August!) to actually do it. I had a lot of unfinished projects on my list, and by the time I was ready to play with this pattern, it was winter, and I just didn’t have the motivation to make a summer dress in December.
The dress I’m sharing today was meant to only be a muslin, but I loved the color of this fabric and how light and airy it felt. Plus, I took a lot of care with it, and it ended up looking pretty good, so I’ll actually get to wear it! I used french seams on it all, so it looks impeccable (okay, it looks really good for someone still learning) on the inside, but my zippers are still a problem for me… =\ For my next Anna dress (which will be a maxi dress), I’m going to use a stretchy knit fabric, so hopefully I won’t need a zipper.
It also took me longer than expected to finish it. A lot of bloggers commented on how easy and quick it is to make them, but even though I agree it was easy, it was not quick. I think it took me about 10 hours to complete this project. A quick project for me would have taken me an afternoon, max. I wish I could blame it on the zipper and on the french seams, but those all went by pretty quickly…
You can see in this set of photos how nice this pattern is. I’ve read that it’s one of those that fit everyone well, and I have to agree. I usually have issues with sleeves this short, but this kind was very flattering. The pleats in the waist end just below the bust, and I think that’s the detail that really makes this dress so special. I have no idea what sort of alteration you’d have to make for a smaller or bigger bust, but I’m lucky I’m just exactly average in that department, because it does make it easy for sewing.
I wore this for: afternoon coffee with Michael