Nothing like a four-month late post! But hey, at least I am back. Back for good? Only time will tell, but I certainly hope so. I may have stopped blogging every week, but I have not stopped sewing! One project I really need to share with you is the regency ball. For a year, three of my co-workers and I planned our attendance at the Regency Romance Ball that the Jane Austen Society of North America, Utah chapter, plans every year. As big Jane Austen enthusiasts, we wanted to go. We secured our husbands support to escort us to the ball, so then all we needed were fabulous dresses to wear!
We quickly dismissed the idea of renting a dress, there was an entire year to sew our dresses! So we bought patterns, and planned what each one of us wanted to wear. I wanted a navy blue dress with gold accents, Autumn was set on pink and black, Arikka was indecisive between gold and brown, and Johanna wanted green and as period accurate as possible. And of course, with one year to sew, we obviously left it all to the last three months. I sewed mine in November/December, then spent January and February helping Johanna and Autumn to sewn theirs. Arikka did all of hers on her own, including test dying her fabric in 30 different shades of yellow and brown until she picked her favorite.
Johanna and I even found time to make waistcoasts for our husbands. And Arikka created her whole husband’s ensemble with refashions. Johanna also made the jewelry we wore, including her gorgeous crown. We didn’t take a ton of photos of the event, we were too busy partying like it was 1814!
Now for the technical details…
Patterns used: the skirt was a modified Simplicity #4055. The top was a mix of three different patterns, with the Simplicity #4055 sleeves, the back was from Butterick #6630, and the front was a non-regency pattern from Simplicity that I lost the number of.
Fabric and notions: I used five yards of dark blue satin I bought at Hancocks, and five yards of a gold and navy paisley brocade I ordered on Etsy. The brocade is sheer, and a little stiff, but it worked beautifully for this dress. To the waistline I added a gold braid I bought at Hancocks.
Jewelry: made by Johanna with parts she already owned and a pair of pendants from Etsy.
Pink and Black dress
Pattern used: Butterick 6074
Fabrics: pink cotton, and black lace from Joann’s fabrics.
Pattern used: Butterick 6074
Fabric and notions: Johanna bought her main fabric online at Amazon, it was a white swiss dot silk, which she dyed green. The trims she bought on Etsy.
Jewelry: Johanna made all of her jewelry with parts she already owned, a few pieces from Etsy, the hardware store, and the local jewelry store.
The men’s costumes were mostly rentals, with two waistcoats made by me and Johanna for our husbands, and Arikka refashioned her husband’s outfit from a thrift store jacket, and other items from their wardrobe.